"...for we put the thought of all that we love into all that we make" ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Thursday, May 7, 2009

A Realization...

I've been prewashing and pressing a LOT of fabric in the last few days, getting it all ready to be used! And with each and every piece I've pressed, I've been looking at it and saying "oh, I can't cut this up, it's too ______________" (fill in the blank- pretty, cool, etc).

But how am I supposed to make quilts out of it if I don't cut it up? So I am taking all the fat quarters and cutting them. ALL of them- even the brand new Erin McMorris ones I just got yesterday!

I will cut an 8 1/2" strip (2 squares), a 6 1/2" strip (3 squares) and a 2 1/2" strip. From ALL of them. These shapes are easily adaptable to many quilt patterns. I should have about an inch or so left over from each one- sounds perfect for a spiderweb quilt!

I have plans for some very simple quilts- sashed squares, coins, half-square triangles, pinwheels, that sort of thing. They are the quilts I have always wanted to make, but was told that they were "too simple", and that quilts needed to be more "complex" to be a "true" quilt.

I also have some plans for experimenting with texture, such as tucks and pleats.

One thing I have learned recently? The whole quilting industry is geared towards a much older, much more "traditional" quilter. I'm about 20 years younger than the demographic most fabric companies, quilt shops and magazines are targeting (notice I said "most", there are some that are realizing there are younger quilters out there- thank goodness!). So I'm going to make the quilts that I want to make, with the fabrics I like (even though I have to mail order them at the moment, since no shops around here carry what I want). I am not going to try to "fit in" to the mold the quilting industry has set out anymore. I'm going to do it my way!

{Cue Frank} :)


PS- Quilt In Joy- my closest local shop (and the one that has oodles of batiks and solids!) has featured one of my quilts on their website!! Go to their website and click on the "About Us" tab and scroll down to the "Customer Creations"- it's the 3rd one down on the left side- the wedding quilt I made for my cousin!- Jennie

3 comments:

  1. Jennie I can assure you, you are not alone. There are a great many quilters out there who like those types of quilts. Sooner or later, quilts shops will have to cater for you folks as the more traditional girls fade out. Hang in there...Ann :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl - I think that creativity in quilt making is something that needs to be practiced. I resolved to stop using patterns. We'll see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yah!!! Your style has changed so much in the last 2 years. A quilt is officially a top, batting, and backing - nothing there says anything about how complex it has to be! Let the fabric do the work. I've found some of my lack of interest in quilting has been the fabric & patterns too. I just haven't found what my niche has evolved into quite yet. What we like will dominate the quilting soon enough (insert evil laugh)

    ReplyDelete