"...for we put the thought of all that we love into all that we make" ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Sunday, July 26, 2009

I Love Mark Lipinski!!!

I had SUCH a fun day today at the Mark Lipinski workshop!!! He is a total scream! He is exactly like he is in his magazine and blog and stuff. SO cool! I just love him. He is so funny, and so personable- I really liked that he spent 5-10 minutes per person, talking to everyone in the class! And he told funny stories about his partner and son and his quilting career :)

The class worked like this: before the class, we had a list of stuff to precut and put into numbered ziplock bags. At the class, we were given "clues", telling us which baggie of fabric to pull out and what to do with it! Once all your blocks are done, you are given a layout sheet. But that's not the quilt you make...


This was my quilt laid out according to the handout. It's kinda ugly, actually! The point of this class was to teach us a) how to makes curved units, and b) to play with our quilts before we put them together!


After Mark and I played around for a bit, this was born! My quilt was one of the examples used for the whole class, since I finished my blocks first. It was a little intimidating being in front of the whole class with Mark, arranging the blocks! This is just the center, I will play with border options too, once I have some time. I really like it! And it's SO different from what we started out with :)


Mark gave away a Sidewinder to the first person who completed all their blocks. Vicki and Jan predicted it would be me, and sure enough, it was! They call me the "overachiever" and have called me that for a long time, since I usually get done first, or get a lot done at retreats. I'm not sure if it's meant as a compliment or not... :)


Mark signed magazines for people too! YAY!!! This issue came in the mail yesterday and I haven't even had a chance to read it yet. I swiped it off the table this morning in the hopes that he would sign it, and he did!

I also have a picture of Mark and I, but it is currently living on Vicki's camera. When she e-mails it to me I'll post about it!

If Mark comes to your town, you HAVE to go to meet him and take a class! This one cost $95, which was the whole day (9am-4pm) with Mark, and it included lunch, beverages and snacks. It was an amazing class, and I came home feeling like I got my $95 worth!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Fantastic! The new layout works a treat. Delighted that you had such a good time. With the bobbin winder, I place a drinking straw on the spindle for the thread - stops it flying off.

    Ann :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was waiting for this post... I thought of you guys yesterday all day... Playing with a quilt afterwards is my favorite part. Your quilt turned out beautiful... I am so glad you had such a great time. Now, I have to see Vicki's quilt. :)
    Oh, and yes I finished my blocks too :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am absolutely green with envy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun day! Wish I had know about this sooner - the class was full byt he time I saw it. And so close to me - arrgghhh. What a super fun day you had!

    ReplyDelete