"...for we put the thought of all that we love into all that we make" ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Friday, August 28, 2009

39 Degrees And A Shout Out

Wow, does it feel like autumn around here!! It's been cold and rainy for the last 3 days- I actually pulled out my flannel pajamas last night! We are supposed to have lows in the upper 30's next week. HURRAY!!! I love autumn! It's my favorite season. Give me crunchy leaves underfoot and hayrides and apple pies and I am seriously happy woman!

I wanted to tell you all that one of my local shops, Tammy Tadd Designs, is in the latest Quilt Sampler as one of the Top Ten Shops!!!! It's SO exciting, and they totally deserve it! They are having a party on September 5, and Terry Atkinson is going to be there- if you are anywhere close to Sycamore, IL, come and join in the celebration!!

I have had a lot of traffic on my last blog post! It was very interesting to actually read the Copyright Law- I think there are a lot of misconceptions out there as to what it actually covers. I also want to say...

1. If you are inspired by someone's work, either a pattern or a picture that you see, acknowledge that person! Don't just swipe the idea and tell everyone that you thought it up and made it. That's just wrong. Really, really wrong. I know someone this has happened to, and it's just sick. She's locked up all her stuff and won't even share it anymore, because she's so upset. And that's a loss to the whole quilting and sewing world. Because her stuff is amazing.

2. I personally believe that if someone does a tutorial for free, it's wrong to take it and make stuff for profit. But that's just my personal belief, and there is no legal reason you can't. I just think it's morally wrong.

3. Realize that a lot of quilt block patterns have been around for a long time, and someone selling a nine-patch quilt on Etsy doesn't necessarily mean that they swiped your nine-patch quilt tutorial and is using it for profit.

I'm making more Park Slope log cabin blocks today. Back to work!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment