"...for we put the thought of all that we love into all that we make" ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Thursday, August 20, 2009

That Was Fun! Now What?

I have a problem. I don't like quilting the quilt!! I love picking out fabrics, and playing with the design, and sewing the top... and that's where I stop.

My biggest problem? I am a perfectionist. If even one stitch is too long, too short, not on the line, etc, I'm done. Throw the quilt in a box and never let it see the light of day again. Or throw it in the fireplace- with a fire burning. But that only happened once. I swear. And it was a top, not a quilted quilt.

Plus, there's the whole "quilt wrestling" thing that happens when you try to quilt with that little tiny machine. I'm pretty sure it would take less effort to run the Chicago Marathon than it does to quilt a quilt with my home machine.

I bought a Pfaff GrandQuilter a few years ago to try to alleviate this problem. And it has, to some extent. I have many quilts that look GREAT with an all over pantograph pattern. I can handle that! Give me a line to follow and a laser pointer to follow it with, and I can quilt for days on end!

Here's my problem: I have this quilt...



And this quilt...



And this quilt...




They all need to be quilted. All over quilting just isn't going to cut it for these quilts. WHAT DO I DO? Even if I did feel like I had the skill to free-motion quilt them myself, I still have no CLUE HOW to quilt them!

Am I the only one that puts out multitudes of un-quilted tops? Anyone have a good method they use for pin basting a quilt so it doesn't end up wonky when it's done? Do you have a way to deal with the OCD perfectionism that is holding me back from just doing it? Anyone want to come to my house and hold my hand while I free motion? Emotionally, I mean. I don't think I could quilt if you were literally holding my hand!

2 comments:

  1. Here you go... For #1 a straght line "maze" on the white set on point. For #2 spirals on the orange circles, echo quilting on the flowers, & an allover curved spikey things on the background. #3 not so sure about. Have you tried Vickie yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey why didn't your dream tell you how to quilt #3?

    ReplyDelete