"...for we put the thought of all that we love into all that we make" ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Friday, January 15, 2010

Waiting And Helping

As almost everyone in the world must know by now, there was a terrible earthquake in Haiti on Tuesday. As I read the stories and see the images and watch the videos online, my heart just keeps breaking. Sitting here in my nice, sturdily built home with my state-of-the-art computer, my electric lights, clean water and indoor plumbing, I cannot even begin to imagine what it is like to be there, living it.

My sister went to Haiti last weekend as part of a medical mission group. They were going to be working in the little coastal town of St. Martin, near Les Cayes, for a week and then they would come home- tomorrow. That was the plan on paper anyway! Now they are working in a hospital in Les Cayes, treating earthquake victims. At this point in time they have no idea how or when they will be able to get home. It most certainly won't be tomorrow!

As I was sitting here, worrying about my sister and continually checking the news, and for updates from her, I saw someone on Twitter post about CraftHope. They were going to set up an Etsy shop to sell items donated by crafters, with all the proceeds to be given to Doctors Without Borders.

So, I jumped up and started pulling fabic and sewing, excited that here was something I could actually DO!!

CraftHope For Haiti Donation
I made a set of oven mitts and donated them. They were just listed, and you can find them here!

**EDITED: these oven mitts sold within 10 minutes of being listed! YAY!

So go over to the Etsy shop and buy stuff! The button on my sidebar will take you there! And if you could keep my sister and the medical team she is with in your thoughts and prayers, that would be good too :)

1 comment:

  1. I am the proud new owner of the oven mitts and they are just gorgeous! Very well-made and I know I will love using them. Thanks for your generosity in donating to the Craft Hope Etsy store - it helped me feel like I was contributing in some small way!

    ReplyDelete