"...for we put the thought of all that we love into all that we make" ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Monday, April 12, 2010

The Quilt Retreat!

This past weekend my friends Vicki, Michele, Pat, Pat, Patti, Carol and Jen and I went on a 3 day quilt retreat up in Janesville, WI! There is an awesome quilt retreat house there called Evergreen Retreat (no website)- I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone looking for a place to have a retreat!!

One of the biggest attractions for me was the fact that they set it up electrically so that each person could have an iron at their sewing area! I took along two paper-piecing projects and got a lot done on them:

Yesterday's Progress :)
I made 12 centers for my New York Beauty quilt! I'll finish them now that I'm home. I just did the paper-piecing part at the retreat- I would have had to bring a LOT of fabric to make whole blocks!

Chugging Along :)
I also made about 20 blocks for my Park Slope log cabin- not all of them are pictured here! I laid them out to show some of the ladies what the curved log cabins do when you put them together.

Finished Shangri-La Top :)
Saturday evening I put away all the paper-piecing and pulled out a jelly roll of my all time favorite fabric, "Shangri-La" by 3 Sisters for Moda. Using the "Keyholes" pattern from Anka's Treasures, I whipped up this quilt from Saturday 5pm to Sunday 12pm! It's 78" x 78"- I made the borders a bit bigger than the pattern called for.

It was a wonderful weekend, and I'm already looking forward to the next one. Which is in November :)

11 comments:

  1. Sure sounds like alot of fun and that you accomplished alot....like everything you showed....wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you made some really amazing things on your retreat! i love the NY Beauties!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those NY Beauties are coming along great! Looks like it was a really productive weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, love, love your New York Beauty. Shangri-la is one of my favorites, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute NYB quilt (or partial). I love NYB's and may have to try brights and black. Really sets them off. And the Keyhole quilt is really cute. And it's so fast. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your projects! How fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have/know of a tutorial for the curved log cabins? I love what you did with those!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, oh! Can I come next time????????????

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to come! Maybe you could let us all know about it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very productive. I am in awe of that paper piecing.

    ReplyDelete