"...for we put the thought of all that we love into all that we make" ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Storm At Sea

I have found (FINALLY!) paper-piecing foundations for a Storm At Sea quilt! YAY!! All the patterns I had found previously wanted me to cut templates (yeah, right) and piece on bias edges (again: yeah, right). I have wanted to paper piece it, but couldn't find foundations. Well, this morning, while looking for quilting info to send to my friend in England, I found the perfect ones!! Here's the site, in case YOU have been looking for them too!

I have had the fabric to make this quilt for 3 years now- I've even had the name picked out for ages! The fabric is white with light blue snowflakes for the background, Dark blue with white snowflakes for the points, and a light blue with white flecks for the centers. It looks like a snowstorm, so I decided to name it "Nor'easter", after the storms that hit the East Coast of the US during the winter.

7/14/09 EDIT: The link previously listed above no longer works. Try http://www.quilterscache.com/S/StormAtSeaBlock.html instead- it's practically the same thing! Hugs, Jennie

5 comments:

  1. I hope you are working on that this weekend! I'd love to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have the fabric and foundations with me, so I can figure out how big I need to cut the pieces, but I won't be working on it this weekend.. sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The link above is no longer working. Do you still have the templates?
    Leona

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jennie,
    I too rejoiced when I found Quilter's Cache pattern for Storm at Sea. However, I can't figure out how to use it for paper piecing. The patterns have no seam allowances. Did you cut everything apart and add the seam allowances and then tape it an copy it? I am perplexed and need help. Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Marie: Sorry I can't respond directly to you, but I hope you see this!!

    I use this method for paper piecing: http://www.twiddletails.com/store/index.php?main_page=page&id=21

    As far as the piece size, I start with big pieces and rough measure, like they do in the tutorial I linked to above.

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete