"...for we put the thought of all that we love into all that we make" ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Thursday, April 23, 2009

All Is Well!

I feel alive again! I absolutely love warm weather and gardening! I am very happy to be able to spend time outside.

I went to the nursery yesterday and bought the plants that need to be started early. I have tried to start my own with no success, so I let the local nursery do it for me! The prices are very reasonable, if you get them small before they've been repotted.


I bought broccoli, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, celery, strawberries, pickling cucumbers, cantaloupe, sage, oregano, basil and lavender. And I have seeds for radishes, carrots, lettuce, spinach, zucchini, sugar snap peas, green beans, pumpkins and sunflowers.

I cannot wait to get all these things in the ground and growing! But I have to be patient a little longer... the soil is still pretty cold, and only the onions, carrots, peas, lettuce and spinach can go in the ground now.

I have one more bed to make... we decided to take an awkward spot in front of our house and make it into a "kitchen" garden! It will have the lettuce, spinach and radishes, and it is very near the front door, so it will be convenient for making salads! I also need to loosen the soil around part of the fence around the "back" garden... I am going to use the fence to trellis the peas and beans, instead of buying more supplies.

But now I need to go grocery shopping... we have no food!

1 comment:

  1. The promise of things to come. Your excitement is palpable. Their are trials and tribulations to growing your own food but the taste and smell of homegrown can't be beaten. There is something quite special about walking out the door and picking vegies for a meal.

    Enjoy...Ann :)

    ReplyDelete