"...for we put the thought of all that we love into all that we make" ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Look At All The Pretty Colors!

So, it's December 27 here in Northern Illinois. Which is what makes the following picture so very unusual:

Look at that~ the bright green is a flash flood warning, the yellow is severe thunderstorm warnings, the dark red is tornado watches, and the bright red is tornado warnings! The light blue is a flood warning, and the dark green is flash flood watches.

This is really more typical of May or June, possibly August. Not December. Here's the current radar picture:

Insane! The worst part is that it's so foggy, you can't watch the sky to see what's coming. This is the only place I have ever seen that can have 30mph winds, thunderstorms and tornadoes, and dense, dense fog. I can't see the house across the street at the moment! I've been doing hourly checks on the basement, but so far no water has made it's way in. Our basement doesn't usually have problems, but we are concerned because the ground is frozen, and water will be running differently than it would in the summer.

I don't know if I've mentioned this, but I am deathly afraid of thunderstorms. One of the few things I like about winter is the fact that there are no thunderstorms. So today is being a stressful day for me...

Oh, and it's supposed to snow tonight and tomorrow!

0 comments:

Post a Comment