"...for we put the thought of all that we love into all that we make" ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Books

I love books. My favorites get a re-reading at least once a year, if not more! Which is why I have read the Lord Of The Rings books. Again. For the millionth time- it may be more than that! I might listen to them next time- I have them on audiobook, too. Unabridged. 52 hours of Frodo, Sam, and Sauron!

When I was a kid, my mom read the LOTR books aloud to us- twice. And to this day, I cannot read them without "hearing" the voices that she assigned to each character. I think Peter Jackson consulted my mom about Gollum in the movies- his voice is exactly the same as she did it!

I will read almost anything! My favorite authors are J.R.R. Tolkein, J.K. Rowling, Laura Ingalls Wilder, L.M. Montgomery, Jane Austen, P.G. Wodehouse, Eugenia Price, Doris Kearns Goodwin, Shelby Foote, Charles Dickens, Janette Oke, and the Bronte sisters. It's a bit eclectic!

I also love biographies. Two of my favs are "Titan" by Ron Chernow- it's about John D. Rockefeller, Sr., and "Andrew Carnegie" by David Nasaw. "The Reagan Diaries" is also very good. Ronald Reagan's love for his wife Nancy is so sweet!

I do not own, nor have I ever read, a Harlequin novel. I cannot get into authors like Danielle Steele (boring!), and I hate horror stuff like Stephen King.

Hubby loves to read, too- our living room looks like a library: we have comic books, "fluffy" books, huge tomes about the Civil War (me), lots and lots of books about trains and trolley buses and mass transit (Hubby). We have two rows of books on most of our bookcases and are considering how to re-arrange the furniture so we can fit more shelves in!

Strangely enough, though, neither of us have library cards! We both prefer to just buy the books we want. I think it's because we both like to re-read books.

Recently I have gotten into audiobooks. They are great because then you can "read" while you are doing other things, like quilting! Audible.com is my usual source for audiobooks. If you like audiobooks you should check it out!

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy a good book. I just wish I had more time for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Jennie,
    Good to get back to your blog. Your reading list looks a lot like mine! Except the Wodehouse... but I'm going to the library today when I go to town and I'm going to see if they've got it - or put it on ILL, perhaps?
    The small "not Square" quilt is really precious: very Gee's Bend. Did you see the small blocks Donna did over at Quilt Pixie? I'm trying to work from my stash -(Wonky Stars are the BEST!) and the "Un-Squares" look like a good bet as well for donation quilts.

    ReplyDelete