"...for we put the thought of all that we love into all that we make" ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Monday, February 9, 2009

Garden 2009!

Oh, I can't wait to get out and get started on the garden! I just ordered my seeds- I am so excited! I love planning for the garden!

I have decided to plant (in no particular order...)
Broccoli
Tomatoes
Peppers
Carrots
Green beans (for freezing)
pickling cucumbers
lettuce
Sugar Snap Peas (these will be frozen whole- if they don't all get eaten straight from the vine!)
Little marvel Peas (these will be shelled and frozen)
radishes
spinach
zucchini
pumpkins
cantaloupe
strawberries
blueberries

Yikes! It's a big one this year! I intend for us to eat from it over the summer, and have plenty to freeze and can for next winter. I am tired of buying vegetables from questionable sources, and I personally like to eat vegetables I've grown myself. I know what went into the soil, and since I grow organically I know there's no pesticides or herbicides involved. Plus, veggies just taste better from the garden!

Now to lay out the garden and decide what goes in which bed (I garden in raised beds), and how many new beds I want the CEO to build!

3 comments:

  1. Good for you Jennie! When you go to the supermarket and the asparagus is from Peru, the garlic from China and the pineapple from Thailand you know things aren't right. At least you know what has been put on your own vegies and they always taste much better!

    Cheers...Ann :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, i'm jealous I so want a garden i can grow my own veggies...I'm with ya about eating from a known source and especially organically - it is so much healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paige- I would be happy to share some with you! I always grow too much anyway. Watch out for random bags of lettuce this summer! ~ Jennie

    ReplyDelete