"...for we put the thought of all that we love into all that we make" ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Sunday, February 22, 2009

What Was Old...

Vicki, Hubby and I hopped a train and went into Chicago today! We went to the Art Institute and Quiltology (more about Quiltology tomorrow... a LOT more!). It was such a fun day!

We saw some really great paintings at the A.I. I just loved the colors on some of them! And we came across a painting with a very interesting little detail...
Look at that floor! This painting is from 1490! Long before Ohio... :) I didn't get a picture of the whole painting, but it's called "Virgin and Child Crowned by Angels" by Colyn de Coter.
There were many other lovely paintings! Here's one of my favorites:
It's called "Kitchen Still Life" and is attributed to Paolo Antonio Barbieri, from about 1640. I love the whole scene, but the detail on the mushrooms is just wonderful!
This one is called "Still Life With A Basket Of Fruit And A Bunch Of Asparagus" by Louise Moillon, 1630. Doesn't it look yummy? :)

The Art Institute has some architectural items too, taken from Chicago buildings that were (most unfortunately) torn down or remodeled.

This is an Adler and Sullivan elevator enclosure grill taken out of the Chicago Stock Exchange building that was demolished in 1972. I LOVE the detail on this, and am really thinking hard about how to make this into a bias-tape applique!
This is a Frank Lloyd Wright window from the Emil Bach house. I love it! I think it may become a quilt too...

I took almost 200 pictures at the museum- and that was with the textiles and quilt exhibit closed! It will re-open in May- the galleries have been undergoing extensive remodeling. I cannot wait until it opens- I have been told that some of the quilts they have are amazing!

Then- we went to Quiltology...... :) :) :)

1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous! What a wonderful time you had. I just love the Art Gallery here in NSW but Victoria is my all time favourite. Loads of inspiration, don't you think?

    Can't wait to read all about Quiltology!

    Happy Stitching...Ann :)

    ReplyDelete